Monday 19 April 2010

Yarn swift!

I've had this Fyberspates fairy wool for a few months now. It came in a long skien which needs to be put into a ball, but trying to wind it has proved extremely difficult. It's cobweb weight, and gets tangled no matter what I wrap it around - be it chair legs or my own legs. I decided the only way to do it would be to get a swift, so started looking around for one. Well, it turns out they are quite expensive, and second hand ones are near impossible to come by. Freecycle came through for me though in a rare moment of win, and I am now the proud owner of a small-ish umbrella swift. I thought it would be difficult to use, since it's not a plain wooden one, but it's marvellous. It hold the yarn really well. Now, if only it would undo the knots that worked their way in before, I would be set.

I've also started my Gentle Rose cardigan. It was something to work on between being on stage last week in our annual Gilbert and Sullivan production, and kept me calm and focused. I've found myself making all kinds of errors on the purl rows - I keep slipping purl stitches instead of working them. This led to a lot of holes, so I ended up ripping 19 rows out after deciding I didn't want holes in my lovely jumper. I mean, I spent £85 on the yarn for it (most of it was birthday money) so I really want it to be something special. Because of the mistakes, I've slowed down my knitting quite a bit to make sure everything is perfect. It means the jumper won't knit up as quickly as I may like, but at least the weather is getting warmer. Hopefully, the quality of Malabingo worsted merino means I will have a stunning cardi to wear for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment