Monday 28 February 2011

Tons on the go

One of my favourite designers, Anniken Allis, has written a new pattern to sell for a charity she's continually raising money for called Shelterbox. She asked on her blog for test knitters, and I thought it would be a good chance to try it for myself. I volunteered, and did so in a timely enough manner that I am now an official test knitter for this new pattern. It's essentially a long scarf that will be sewn together (or can be joined with a three needle bind off at the end instead) to form a type of cowl. So that will be my top priority for the next few weeks.

Other than that, I've got a lace project going  - very slowly - that I'm really enjoying. It's simple, just yarn overs and knit two together, but knit with cobweb yarn so I have to pay close attention to what's going on. I chose the yarn to reflect the name of the pattern. As something that's supposed to look like a body of water, shades of blue seemed appropriate.

I'm also working on my first pair of socks. I've got past the heel turn, but am stuck on where to pick up stitches for the gusset. Luckily, I had the foresight to get a book on making socks that looks like it will help. All I need to do is get my brain in gear so I can figure it out.

I was given some lovely yarn by a friend at Get Knitted Knatterers, and wanted to start something immediately with it. I have enough to make something large, and chose a vest pattern that ties like a corset at the front. It's bulky yarn, so it will be a winter only thing. It's knitting up really pretty. Mostly though, I've been doing crochet. I decided I wanted to learn how to make a granny square, and so I took some yarn I got for my birthday (the blue) and the wool I got in Columbus, and went to work. This is the first of what will be many.

I also finished a cape that I made in chunky red, and took two more balls than I thought it would. A long time in the finishing, because I had to get more yarn each time, which took time.

No comments:

Post a Comment