Sunday 13 November 2011

So far behind!

I know. I know. I haven't posted for aaages. That's mostly because I haven't really been up to much craft wise. I've had a lot of problems with pain getting in the way of the work, and have had far to many evenings distracted by writing for the play by email I'm involved with. Having not written for something like 2 years and thinking I was never going to be able to again, it's nice to find that lack of concentration, memory, and overall unhealthyness of my brain doesn't mean I can't write. I've been making up for lost time as a result.

Unfortunately, this means my Christmas knitting has fallen way behind schedule. In an effort to fix that sorry state of affairs, I've decided to crochet a few gifts instead of knitting them, and plan on buying some presents as well instead of making something for everyone in my family. With any luck, I'll get all the presents on my list finished, but only time will tell for certain.

First, a few ta-das! I made a few snoods for wearing as one of my larp characters. The setting for this larp is Regency England, with a smattering of fey and magic thrown in, as well as a bit of steampunk. As snoods were often worn during this time, I figured making a few would be nice and fun. I made a blue one first to go with the dress I had intended to wear as the character, and then at the event things happened that meant my character changed costume - and began to show a hidden side that I hadn't really thought out in character creation, so I made a black

one after the event to go with her new costume.
I'm very pleased with how they both turned out. The pattern is by Brigids Hearth and is in her blog. She is a fabulous designer, and I'm using her pattern for armwarmers to make gifts for my Mom and sister Laura, as they have both requested armwarmers. I've also made the armwarmers for myself.

In addition to knitting things for larp, I've also been working on a scarf for my Dad. I had no clue what I was going to make him, so when I decided to do some crocheted projects, I first looked around for something for him. I found this really easy pattern for a scarf, and had some yummy microfibre yarn that was in mannish colours, so I took hook to yarn and came out several days later with something quite nice. It was crocheted long way, and I wasn't happy with how long it was. I had intended to pick up the stitches on the short side and make it longer by adding a fancy end to the short ends, but I had trouble picking up the stitches and figuring out how to crochet them, and was tired of messing with it, so I simply fringed it instead. While I like how it looks and the colours, I wasn't happy with the yarn. It was extremely splitty and a pain to work with. I'm sure it wouldn't have been any easier trying to knit it. After I finished the scarf, I crocheted a Christmas ornament, as that's what my Grandma asked for as a birthday present. Her birthday is next week, so I had to get it done and in the mail asap.

Now I've just got to get cracking and knit as much as I can. I have to take frequent breaks because of the pain, but I still love knitting, so it's worth it.

2 comments:

  1. That is a gorgeous snood! I am going to try that design myself. I made a snood some months ago but I am not satisfied with the results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really easy to make too! It's a simple repeat lace pattern; you just put stitch markers between the repeats (until row seven, then take them out for the 8th row) and you can make it as long or as short as you want really. I made mine to the length suggested.

    ReplyDelete