Saturday 12 December 2009

Concerto, Part 1


Since the Concerto KAL is divided into seven parts, I've decided to work on one a week. I think I mentioned this before, but it bears repeating. I swatched on Monday, started on Tuesday, and finished part one on Friday. I'm quite pleased with the result, despite some mistakes. Somehow, after knitting the first row of flowers, I reversed the RS and WS (at least, that's what I think happened) and so the texture is different. I noticed it much later, after I'd done another two rows of flowers or so, and really couldn't bear to rip out all those stitches to fix it. I decided it adds something to the bottom of the work, and will try and replicate it on the other end for symetry's sake. The other mistake I've made is a little more minor and you probably can't see it from this picture - the top layer of flowers has a petal out of place. I must have miscounted or something. I had the vague feeling right after I'd done it that it was wrong, and though long and hard about whether I should rip it and try again. I convinced myself that there wasn't a mistake, that I was reading it wrong, and by the time I realised it was, I was rather resigned to it not being perfect. That's what makes it unique, right? ;-) Other than that, I'm very pleased with it. The colour of the yarn is lovely, and the texture too. The fact that it's a marl yarn makes it a little hard to knit with, and rather impossible to rip out and put back on the needles, so my lifelines are going to be really important. I had thought I would put one in per part of the stole, but I think I'll put one in per pattern repeat - that would have helped with the mistake on the flower near the end.

I'm making a six foot stole, since I'm quite short myself. I have enough yarn to make the seven I think, but I decided against it in the end. I have enough projects on the go/that I want to start that I shouldn't spend too much time on this. More pictures to follow next week when I complete part 2!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dori,

    Thanks for your comment on my blog.

    I like following yours too. The last lilac swatch is very pretty.

    Have a lovely Christmas,
    Rowan

    ReplyDelete